In the aftermath of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, security experts are trying to develop new ways of rescuing people from burning skyscrapers. One _______(51) is a platform capable of flying vertically and hovering in the air _______ (52)a helicopter. The platform would rise up and down alongside a skyscraper and pick up people _______ (53) in high stories.
The idea for the vertical takeoff platform was hatched(策划) more than ten years ago by a Russian aerospace engineer, David Metreveli, who has since moved to Israel. Metreveli's design, _______(54) the Eagle, calls for two jet engines that_______(55) four large horizontal propellers. The spinning of the propellers _______(56) the necessary lift, or upward force, to raise the platform. The more _______(57)is supplied to the propellers, the higher the platform _______(58). Moving the platform sideways involves _______(59) differing amounts of power to each propeller.
Helicopters are now used in some _______(60) to get people out of burning buildings. Escape baskets slung from them dangle beside the building for people to climb into. _______(61), the baskets cannot reach every floor of a building_______ (62)the ropes from which they hang become unstable _______(63) a certain length.
So far, Metreveli has built a small-scale model of the Eagle to _______(64)his idea. In the wake of September 11,he has been able to secure enough funding to start building a larger,4-meter by 4-meter prototype, _______(65)he calls the Eaglet.
51. A idea B skill C building D improvement
52. A silks B unlike C like D likely
53. A rise B trapped C climbed D raised
54. A linked B called C equaled D described
55. A change B move C turn D shut
56. A sends B keeps C opens D generates
57. A power B sense C feature D model
58. A stays B rises C stars D runs
59. A reducing B comparing C developing D applying
60. A kinds B cases C stories D products
61. A Unfortunately B Uncertainly C Unimportantly D Unexpectedly
62. A before B because C until D however
63. A beyond B under C off D on
64. A tell B tell C discuss D report
65. A who B which C where D what
51-55. A C B B C
56-60. D A B D B
61-65. A B A B B
Copyright©2012-2018 RENSHIKAOSHI, All Rights Reserved. 备案编号: 皖ICP备13019968号-1